As I mentioned in my last post, one of my goals for this year is to get the stash under control. I don’t want to give up buying yarn altogether – I still want to be able to support UK indie dyers and the British wool industry in general, and while the thing I love most about yarn shows is the social aspect I’m not foolish enough to think that I can spend a day surrounded by lovely yarns and fibres and come away empty-handed. And I can’t resist an unusual and exciting colour combination or a yarn with an interesting, story, which explains the two lovelies which dropped through my letterbox this week.
(At the top, Old Maiden Aunt merino/silk 4-ply, in the “Cold Sheep” colourway, named after a recently Ravelry controversy; at the bottom, Knitting Goddess self-striping sock yarn in “Groovy”, which reminded me of the hippyish clothes I loved when I was a student.)
On the other hand, I really don’t have room for any more yarn (to be quite honest, I’m not sure I actually have room for the yarn I already have). And last night I tried Ravelry’s tool for seeing how much yarn I’d used in all my projects, and then I compared that number to the amount of yarn in my stash, and realised that I have nearly three times as much stashed yarn as I have ever knitted and that my stash, unravelled, would reach from here to Salford.
So, I set myself up a simple spreadsheet.
It’s got three sections, fibre, yarn and WIPs. It’s too wide to fit comfortably on the screen of my little netbook, so the screenshot shows the yarn section, and you can just see fibre (pink header) to the left and WIPs (yellow header) to the right. Each section has two columns, yarn/fibre/WIPs in on the left and yarn/fibre/WIPs out on the right (debits and credits, in accounting parlance). Fibre out (once I have actually sat down at my spinning wheel for long enough to have some) will also have a corresponding entry in the yarn in column; yarn out will normally also be shown as WIPs in, unless I decide to have a proper destash and sell or donate some of the yarn I can’t see myself ever using. Every month I’ll total up the columns and subtract yarn out from yarn in each section; my intention is to make sure, over the year, that at least twice as many skeins of yarn leave my stash as the number of skeins and braids/batts of fibre come in. It’s looking quite good so far, despite this week’s purchases, but having cast on several projects I know it’ll be a little while before I finish those and am ready to cast on anything else (I don’t tend to have lots and lots of WIPs so I expect the numbers going in and out of WIPs will stay fairly evenly matched). And I haven’t actually cast on the Ysolda mystery shawl yet (must do that tomorrow). I also haven’t noted the skein of Wollmeise to be returned to stash after I frogged the Brickless I made a few months ago on the grounds that it was just too long and too skinny to wear, which I probably should even though it isn’t new yarn.
Still, it’s a start. I might post the totals every month, if anyone’s likely to be at all interested…