Rather than start a new big spinning project, this weekend I decided to spin up one of the samples I got from the Handweavers Studio when I went on the London yarn crawl in the autumn. I went for 25g of BFL humbug fibre, which spun up like a dream. I split the fibre lengthways into two so I could make a two-ply yarn, and I split each section again into three because I find it much easier to draft thinner sections of fibre. I ended up spinning far and away the finest yarn I’ve ever made.
I think I’ve got about 37m to 25g, and it’s 10 wraps per inch so somewhere between a DK and a worsted weight. Not quite as thin as I’d really like, given that I normally knit with 4-ply and laceweight yarns, but definitely going in the right direction. I think I’ll spin up some more of the samples and then possibly use them to knit something with an ombre effect from the different shades.
After spending some time wondering what to sew next, I decided to make another Birgitte basic tee using some flowered viscose jersey I bought from Croft Mill last year when I first decided to try making t-shirts, as a way to remind myself that I can make clothes.
I haven’t hemmed it yet, because I ran out of steam at that point, but it came together very nicely (except that I have managed to get a pleat of fabric at the back neck when I sewed on the neckband, which is annoying and pretty much unfixable, because unpicking stretch stitch from jersey is basically impossible). I’m not actually sure if I like the print very much or if I will wear it, but it’s good practice.
I have also cast on for Ysolda’s mystery shawl knitalong and been working my way through the first clue. I should be finished with that today, ready for the next clue to be released tomorrow, though I’m really not sure I needed a new knitting project given that I’m still plugging away on my Pi Shawl and the A-Z seems to have been stalled at M for several months now. So much crafting, so little time.